
Isn't she beautiful?? When did it happen, her not being a little girl anymore??
I spent this morning at a BETA club "tapping" ceremony. This was the first thing, in a VERY long time that Brittany specifically asked me to go to and be there, AND she had to dress up... so I was obviously very excited about going, and being a part of this. It was held in the gymnasium at the high school, and the ENTIRE school was there. All was good as the students entered, freshman, sophomores, then juniors. That's when ( as I tend to do)...I cried. The principal, came forward, and said, "Please stand as our seniors, the class of 2008 enter. I got a little teary-eyed, as I looked around at the parents, beaming, as was I, with pride as the seniors started to come in. They were in their robes (graduation style!), and I was just amazed. I saw several of Brittany's friends that she has played ball with, hung out with, got in trouble with! I couldn't believe how they had grown and changed. There was the little boy (Kyle) that in Brittany's first year of t-ball, ran out onto the field, and kissed my daughter! He is now a very handsome young man. The girl (Brittany H) that thought she was all that, and started doing things my Brittany didn't agree with, was now a very tired looking, chubbier (from partying), and not happy looking young woman. There were others that caught my attention...and then this beautiful, happy, smiling and proud young woman walked in...it was my daughter! She looked so grown up. Then it hit me, in 7 months, she will be making this same walk, (albeit in the stadium, not the gymnasium) and she will not be "tapping" anyone. She will be getting her diploma and getting ready to start a very exciting, new phase of her life. I found myself wiping away tears. Not of sadness though, (okay, maybe just a little!), they were more for happiness, excitement, and pride.
After the ceremony ended, the BETA club, new inductees, and parents were invited to a reception in the cafeteria. I had the most wonderful time! It was just Brittany and me, sitting off by ourselves, talking. About who is who, who is popular, who is not, what teachers are hot, or not, and about school in general. We also talked about college, and... just talked. It was one of the best times we've had in a very long time. And I will always remember it...always. After she ate a bagel (and made a horrible face after trying cream cheese!) it was time to go. I kissed her as I was leaving, told her I loved her. She kissed me on the cheek and said "I love you too."
I couldn't have been more proud!
No comments:
Post a Comment